Smooth Talker is one of Pretorian’s flagship products and is surely the most versatile simple AAC device on the market. Recently redesigned to include even more features, a huge 8 minutes of recording time and superior sound quality, it also now has a builtin rechargeable lithium battery which will give many hours of use between charges (and, importantly, may still be used while recharging), saving you money on batteries.
Did you know?
You can pair Smooth Talker with Energise or iClick to allow individual messages to turn on mains appliances such as a lamp or music player. Use as a reward for completing a task or as a method of verbally instructing users how to complete a task.
Whereas other manufacturers sell different products to fulfil each particular AAC requirement, Pretorian’s philosophy is to fulfil all your requirements in a single product, saving you time and money.
Perhaps the feature that makes Smooth Talker so popular is the choice of playback modes. Choose from:
- Sequential play the messages in sequence, beginning with the first.
- Random plays a random message and is great as a speaking dice, for example.
- Random (no repeats). A new mode which randomly plays every message exactly once before starting over. Perfect for choosing who goes next in a group activity nobody gets missed out and nobody gets two goes!
- Choice requires two switches and is used to allow the user to exercise a choice between two items or concepts.The second switch may be wired or wireless.
- Choice Progression Choose between multiple pairs of items or concepts, for example choosing menu items.
- Converse a truly unique feature that has come to define Smooth Talker. Requires two switches and allows two users to conduct a two-way conversation without fear that they will get out of sequence.
- Auditory Prompt. Use the second switch to choose a message by searching through them quickly, and at low volume. Then play back the chosen message using the main switch at normal volume.
- Question/Answer. Record your messages as Q and A pairs and then this mode allows the question and answer to be repeated multiple times before moving on, to allow reiteration and reinforcement.
Toy output can be added to any message and may be chosen on a message by message basis as it’s recorded. Although a toy socket is provided, Smooth Talker is a SimplyWorks device and so can be paired with a SimplyWorks toy controller such as Control or Control Pro, or can be used to turn on an appliance by pairing with Energise or iClick.
A further socket is provided for a second switch and is used in Choice, Converse, Auditory Prompt and Question/Answer modes, or may simply be used instead of the main switch in Sequential or either of the Random modes. Because Smooth Talker is a SimplyWorks device, it may be paired with a wireless switch too.
Uniquely, Smooth Talker has the facility to add messages to your existing recordings without needing to erase what you have previously recorded.
Smooth Talker is as simple or as complex as you need it to be- the choice is yours. There are some great resources online, such as videos and worksheets, so please take a look at our website to see the benefits that Smooth Talker can bring to AAC.