What is Read&Write?
Used daily by millions of students worldwide, Read&Write is our award-winning literacy toolbar that helps reach every learner and realise their full potential.
Great for all subjects and lesson plans, Read&Write offers support with everyday tasks like reading text out loud, understanding unfamiliar words, researching assignments and proofing written work. It’s also used as a digital reader for UK school examinations at GCSE and A-level, assisting students who are entitled to extra help in the exam room.
Who does Read&Write benefit?
- Personalise instruction and promote learner agency. Give your students the opportunity to use a wide range of tools – help them be independent and use technology to help individual needs. Equip students with the tools to organise and study smarter and better
- Build resources in snap – definition and vocabulary resources, activities, study guides and MP3 versions of current resources in just a few clicks.
- Create a level playing field for all students – when every student has access, individual students feel more included
- Give voice notes for quick and effective feedback – saving time and providing students with a way to reflect
- Give students the tools to succeed providing tools that stretch and challenge their work – particularly those who wouldn’t normally look to technology to help and may view it as only for those pupils with specific needs.
- Enable improvement and attainment for everyone by combining all of the small changes each individual feature can make – it all adds up to a substantial gain for everyone.
- Additional Learning Needs – There are a whole host of tools in Read&Write designed to help students with additional learning needs, like dyslexia, including, Text-to-Speech to help with word recognition, it’s also a great way of spotting mistakes for those students who struggle to read text. What’s more, students with access arrangements in place can use Read&Write as a digital reader in exams, even in the GCSE English Language paper, where a human reader is not permitted.
- English language learners – Read&Write provides the tools for students’ whose first language isn’t English to help with pronunciation, spelling and recognition of English words.
- Low attainment group – For those students who just need a little extra help, Read&Write can be a great boost. Spelling and Grammar checkers give them greater confidence, allowing them to self check their own work before submitting. Other tools like Prediction helps to expand the vocabulary they use.
- Middle band – Read&Write has lots of tools to support the middle band of learners and stretches their learning limits. Tools like reading aloud helps students with questions and answering techniques, and increases their focus. Students will also benefit from study skills tools to improve organisation and exam prep.
- High achievers – Proofreading tools in Read&Write are a great way of self-checking essays and assignments as well as grammar and spell checkers adding extra polish to students’ work.
Features – at a glance
Reading & Writing tools
- Text to Speech reads words, passages, or whole documents aloud with easy-to-follow dual colour highlighting.
- Text & Picture Dictionaries provide deﬁnitions and displays images to help with word comprehension
- Talk&Type turns the spoken word into text
- Check It reviews writing for incorrect grammar, spelling (phonetic), capitalisation, punctuation, verb tense, homophones and more
- Collect Highlights from text in documents or the web for summarising research and to create bibliographies
- Simplify removes ads and other copy on web pages that can be distracting.
- Audio Maker converts selected text into an audio file, and automatically downloads
- Build a Vocabulary List instantly into a new doc, including selected words, the dictionary definitions, images from Widgit Symbols, and an editable notes column
Plus much much more – contact us to find out how Read&Write can benefit ALL your students.