It can be used with switch adapted apps, iOS Switch Control/Android® Switch Access or simply to play music/video or take photos. The Pretorian APPlicator has been the Bluetooth switch access device of choice for teachers, OTs and health professionals alike since iPad was first adopted for AT use.
Did you know?
You can use any switch set to Volume Up to take photos or shoot video in the camera app. Why is it Volume Up? Because this button is in a similar place on an iPhone to the shutter on a conventional camera.
Now with added features, you really can improve on a winner!
If you would prefer your Bluetooth access device built into a switch, please consider iSwitch, which is very similar to APPlicator but built into a switch!
Accessing switch adapted apps could not be easier
- Pair APPlicator with your iPad® by selecting it in the Bluetooth menu (no PIN entry required)
- Connect any wired switches to one or more of the four, programmable, switch inputs.
- Using the built-in display, select the function of each switch from the choice of 24 keyboard/media commands. Any combination of switch functions is possible.
Taking pictures is a breeze
- Simply set a switch to ‘Volume Up’ and you’re all set to take pictures or video in the Camera app.
Accessing Music Playlist is a fun way to teach cause and effect
- Press the Quick Media button for preconfigured access to play/pause, skip forward, skip back and Timed Play (10 seconds)
- For more audio functions, use the built-in display to select from play/pause, skip forward, skip back, volume adjustment, timed play and mute.
- Play music in timed-play mode to add interest and inspiration, or as a ‘reward’ for successfully carrying out a task.
For higher functioning users- consider iOS Switch Control
- Set one or more switches to standard keyboard functions such as space and enter.
- Program these in the Switch Control menu to be functions such as ‘Move to Next Item’ and ‘Select Item’.
- Choose between automatic or manual scanning and then turn on Switch Control.
- The world is now your oyster- every aspect and facility of iPad can be accessed with either one or two switches. Please click on the ‘videos’ tab below for more details.
Working with Eye-Gaze devices
iPadOS15 (and later) include support for eye-gaze devices via Assistive Touch. However, because Switch Control and Assistive Touch can’t be on at the same time, eye-gaze devices can’t be used alongside switches configured in Switch Control, yet for many this would be the ideal configuration since it avoids the delays caused by dwelling. To address this issue Pretorian has now included mouse clicks in APPlicator. These new functions are immediately recognised by the iPad whenever Assistive Touch is turned on. Both Left Click and Right Click have been added but, because APPlicator may also be used on Windows based tablets and AAC devices, Double Click has also been included.